Something to take note of, being a Ghostwriter.

10:26 PM

Current Music : Sacral Chakra Chant


The Ghostwriter.
Yes, today's topic is about GHOSTWRITERS & GHOST WRITINGS.

I came to know about GHOSTWRITERS many years back, through a movie called The Ghostwriter. Well, I thought it was somewhat a horror movie, but it turned out to be a thriller/mystery movie.

The first thing that came into my mid when I hear the word "GHOST"writer is something that is paranormal and spooky. As I watched the movie, I begin to know that ghostwriters are people who write on behalf of another person. It's not some ghost or spirits haunting your paper, writing and making the pen floating on the air. Hahah!

So, let's get clear of what is a Ghostwriter?
Basically, ghostwriter is a person who is hired to author books, manuscripts, screenplays, speeches, articles, songs, blog posts, stories, reports, white papers or other texts that are officially credited to another person.

Sounds WRONG?

Not really. Because ghostwriters get paid with lucrative amount and they don't take credit to themselves. Hence, the term "GHOST"writer. Technically, they can't be revealed unless they request for it.

In my previous post, I did mentioned that I was handling a beauty and wellness project. And yes, it was a big project and we had invited the Deputy Minister to officiate the launch of our brand. Therefore, someone needs to prepare a speech for our Deputy Minister. I was assigned by my chief officer to prepare both speech for the Deputy Minister and also CEO.
To be honest, I was very happy and excited when I was assigned to prepare speeches for them. It didn't went well at the beginning as I have no experience in writing speeches, I got stuck in the midst of preparing their speeches and I do not know what to write and how to convey their message to the audiences.
However, with the help of my mentor, I was able to come out with the speeches before the deadline. After that, I got my chief officer to proof read both speeches for me. In return, he has shortened both speeches in to one page each. Without any hesitation, I read the speech again. And I realized something from it:-

When you are about to prepare a speech for any higher levels:
1) Must be clear of what information/points or ideas they want to convey
2) Information/points or ideas must be transparent, unbiased and non-asymmetrical
3) Do some homework/research on the guest of honor/VIP that is going to present the speech
4) DO NOT COPY word-by-word, letter-by-letter; PARAPHRASE it, if possible, restructure the      
    whole sentence.
5) De-clutter your mind. Clear your mind beforehand, so that one can focus on preparing the speech
    with peace.

Do not REPEAT the same mistake I did.

Just before I start writing the speech, a ton of voices keep coming to me until I lost the flow and inspiration to continue with the speech. What I am trying to say is that, JUST BE YOURSELF, DO YOUR BEST and DO NOT LET YOUR VOICES FROM YOUR HEAD HOLD YOU BACK. Always ask yourself these questions :
Do you do it just for the sake of doing it and proving it to people? 
OR do you do it because it is your passion and that you respect your role as a ghostwriter? 
I know it is very difficult for people to understand it, but trust me, when you are stuck, just ask yourself with these questions and you will get your answer. If you don't, you may want to clear your mind and perhaps, change the way how you have perceived your role as a ghostwriter/writer.

Just few weeks ago, I have been talking to someone who works in the corporate finance for more than 20 years. Not to forget to mentioned that he is also an excellent presenter. He has also taught me on how to prepare a good speech not just by conveying information and ideas, but also to play with the curiosity and the human psychology with sentences, words and grammar. (Don't get me wrong here, I am not trying to manipulate anyone's mind, haha.)
For example, one may say "...... we are here to learn, to grow and to understand each other, so that we will have the opportunity to work with each other to come out with a unique business model plan", when there are other competitors in one's launching event.
This, indeed is very important, especially when a new company is launching its homegrown brand in the market. You may want to build a good image for your company and also a good relationship with other people.

Now, here comes the final part.

There is something for ghostwriters to take note of, especially those who are new to the task. When you are assigned to prepare a speech for a higher level, such as Prime Minister/ Minister/ or Deputy Minister/ Government authorities :-

1) DO NOT circulate the script on the internet or any other sharing platform.
2) BE CAREFUL of the caption you wrote/posted when upload the picture of the higher       
    authorities. NEVER EVER mention the word "GHOSTWRITER" as it will jeopardize your 
    own career or company. Like I have said, ghostwriters are not meant to take the credit, and 
    that is why they are "GHOST"writer.

To be honest, I made a mistake as I posted a picture of the Deputy Minister and had also mentioned the "GHOSTWRITER". I wasn't aware of my action until my mentor had to called me, and ask to remove her picture. Later, I knew that I made a mistake on my caption. Don't ask me why I mentioned it, because I don't know why either. Maybe I was out of my mind or screw loose and wasn't thinking rationally. Hahaha,

Don't repeat the mistake I did. This is extremely important for beginners. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Leave a comment :)