Penang | Penang Hill.

5:09 PM

GREETINGS! Here I am, ready to blog about my Penang trip just as what I had promised earlier. One week before the trip, I thought of cancelling it as I can't get the cheapest air tickets. However, dad suggested that I should take the bus down to Penang. It took me 2 weeks to made the decision and finally I decided to take the bus down with Aedan and I made the right decision to go back to Penang. My relatives were so happy to see me when I arrived at their place, especially my 2 cousin sisters. 
So why Penang? Frankly speaking, I never like Penang. The thoughts of going back to Penang just don't excite me as the journey is bloody long. Whenever my family goes back to Penang to visit our relatives, it's either we eat or we shop. I don't really enjoy eating (this doesn't mean I am an(a) Anorexic/Bulimic) and I don't enjoy shopping too cause I can shop anywhere in K.L. Unless, I am in Hong Kong or Bangkok and that is a different story. So this time, I decided to go Penang as a tourist visiting tourist spots and historical sites. I love visiting historical sites as I get to experience it personally, and not just based on what I learnt and see from the textbooks.

After breakfast, we drove down to Butterworth, along with my cousin to visit my auntie and uncle. My cousin wanted us to drive to Penang ourselves so she handed us her GPS and reminded us a few important things when we arrived at Penang Island.
1) Do not simply park your car at prohibited areas or double park some other people's car. You don't want your car to get clamp, don't you?
2) Do not pass the red light! They have surveillance camera around traffic lights.
3) Be a law abiding driver, and drive carefully! At least in Penang Island. Rules are very strict.
     *p/s : Pictures taken with smartphone & digital camera

The most anticipated Penang bridge.

The weather was fucked. Once we arrived at Penang Hill, it started to drizzle and we got no other choices but to change our itinerary.
Penang Hill was packed with tourists, mostly international tourists. However, we managed to get the tickets and board the train without having to squeeze ourselves in. The best time to visit the Penang Hill would be weekdays. The place will be very crowded during public and school holidays.




We don't call it train, we call it "Gondola" instead. Don't ask me why, but you can look it up on google.com
During the olden days, the gondola used to travel at a very low speed. Many years later, they upgraded their gondola, and it was slightly better in terms of speed. I sat it once and I told myself that I will never ride this gondola again. Guess what?! I rode the gondola after for so many years and surprisingly, they now upgraded their gondola with faster speed. 

Middle station for workers and residents. 
Imagine staying on the hill, and there is no electricity, no water and what not.

Arrived at the top of the hill. Despite the scorching hot sun, the wind is blowing and it cools everything down.  I guess it's because of the sea breeze. I told Aedan that we came here at the wrong timing, as we are not able to see the sun rise and the night scenery. He said it's okay cause we are still able to see the afternoon scenery. LOL.







I wanted to continue to walk but Aedan said there is nothing much up there and he suggested that we should get a drink and go down (he's getting pissed due to hot weather). When we were on our way to the cafeteria (or foodcourt, whatever you call it), I saw this board written :"Welcome to The Owl Museum". I don't know why, but it was very eye-catching so I took a picture of it.


The Owl Museum is the first to be open at the South East Asia. I did not visit the museum because I was told that it doesn't looks promising since it is a new museum,there is nothing much to see and the species are very limited. (He's a psychic or what? Some times he does sound like a psychic cause everything he says turn out to be true. Are all engineering students like that? or is it just me? LOL)
However, if anyone of you wants to visit the museum. The museum opens daily from 9am to 6pm and the price of the tickets are as followed:
1) Adult : RM10
2) Senior Citizen : 50% off
3) Children below age of 12 : FREE entry


Sri Aruloli Thirumurugan, indian temple



A 32 counter cannon at Penang Hill. It is rich in historical value. 
The cannon is probably transported from the town to the hill as an ornament or just to warn the presence of the pirates.

A happy kid :)




Before heading back down to the hill, we saw these colorful telescope/binoculars. Aedan wanted to take a look at it so we spent 3 bucks (RM3) on it. I have to pay RM1 each time I take a look at it. It is cheaper than I expected.

Penang Asam Laksa.

We had Laksa for lunch. Why I call it Laksa? Well, that is because Penangites call it Laksa, instead of Asam Laksa (in Kuala Lumpur & Seremban). Therefore, if you want to order Asam Laksa in Penang, "Laksa" is the correct name for it ; and if you want to order "Laksa" in Penang, "Curry Mee" is the correct name for it. It goes like this,
1) Asam Laksa (K.L & Seremban) = Laksa (Penang)
2) Laksa (K.L & Seremban) = Curry Mee (Penang)
Don't get all mix up! Cause they might not understand what you want. 


Dragon's Beard Candy 
by
Choy Kee Confectionary Sdn. Bhd
RM6 per packet.

Yummy! I love it a lot. All thanks to Aedan who recommended it to me. Till now, I would think of it when I am hungry. I seldom see this candy in Kuala Lumpur nor Seremban and that is why I miss it so damn much. The Dragon's Beard Candy is made from sugar and maltose syrup, as well as peanuts. They have a few flavors, such as Pineapple, Peppermint, Mango, Strawberry, Chocolate etc. I still prefer original flavor, it is the best. The store is located somewhere around the streets to Kek Lok Si Temple.

People called it the Chinese cotton candy too. It is a handmade traditional art of the Ancient China as it was created from China and soon became a regional delicacy in other parts of East Asia, as well as other country like USA, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan etc.It was also served within the Korean Royal court too. The Dragon's Beard Candy has a very high sugar content and it is not advisable for people who have diabetes.

"A journey of a thousand strands, starts with a cube of sugar"- quoted.
YES, that's right! Ever wonder how they make the candy from a cube of sugar?
I'm so sorry that I did not take a video of it, but I took some pictures when the girl was making the candy. You can still watch the video in Youtube.

She took a cube of sugar (which is the size of a palm) and then poke through the center of the cube. 
There she goes, cover the sugar cube with flour, and started to pull and stretched the cube from the center.

She keeps pulling and stretching (until God knows when)

The sugar strand actually turns into a very fine, soft thread if you look closely.


Tadaa! The threads are then wrapped around a filling of crushed peanuts and ready to be serve
as a melt-in-mouth candy. 

On our way to Kek Lok Si Temple

To be continued...

*Informations:
Penang Hill
Perbadanan Bukit Bendera Pulau Pinang,
Jalan Stesen Bukit Bendera,
Ayer Itam, 11500
Pulau Pinang

The Owl Museum
Level B3, Astaka MPPP,
Bukit Bendera, Jalan Summit,
11300 Penang, Malaysia

Choy Kee Confectionary Sdn Bhd.
No 9, Jalan Pasar,
Mk.16, Ayer Itam,
11500 Pulau Pinang.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Leave a comment :)